Reviewing the following treatment tips written by Dr. Patel will help minimize bruising and ensure a faster recovery and optimal results from your next treatment at our Coral Gables clinic.
Click Below for Treatment Guidelines Written by Dr. Patel for His Patients
- BOTOX treatment guidelines
- Clear + Brilliant treatment guidelines
- Dermal filler treatment guidelines
What Should I Do before I Receive Dermal Filler Injections?
- Please try not to wear makeup on the day of treatment.
- To reduce risks of bruising, avoid blood thinners such as those listed below for two weeks before your treatment. Importantly, do not stop any prescription blood thinners or other medications (even Aspirin) if prescribed by a doctor.
- Fish oil
- Pain relievers such as Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, and Aleve
- Coumadin (get prescribing physician approval first)
- Vitamin E
- Ginkgo biloba
- Other herbal supplements known to increase risk of bruising
- If you have had cold sores, call our practice and Dr. Patel will write you a prescription for a medication such as Valtrex to help prevent cold sore recurrence from your treatment.
- Drink water and eat something prior to your appointment.
- Do not plan any dental procedures 3 weeks prior to and 3 weeks after your filler treatment.
Following a Dermal Filler Injection, What Should I Do to Ensure Proper Results and Faster Recovery?
- Avoid drinking alcohol for 24 hours after treatment.
- Avoid exercise or any other activities (sauna, hot tub, etc.) that may make your face red/flush for 24 hours after your treatment.
- Do not apply makeup for one hour after your treatment.
- Do not rub or massage the treated area for 24 hours following treatment unless you are instructed to do so. (Sculptra patients will be asked to massage the treatment sites after injection.)
I Am Undergoing BOTOX Injections. What Should I Avoid or Do before Injections Are Completed?
- Avoid the blood thinners listed above for one to two weeks prior to your treatment. Do not stop any prescription blood thinners or other medications (even Aspirin) if prescribed by a doctor.
- Do not wear makeup to your Botox appointment.
Following BOTOX, What Treatment Types Should I Follow?
- No alcohol for 24 hours after treatment.
- Avoid exercise or any other activities that may make your face red/flush (sauna, hot tub, etc.) for 24 hours after your treatment.
- Do not rub or massage the treated area for 24 hours unless instructed to do so.
- It is ok to apply makeup after your Botox treatment.
Pre-Treatment Instructions for Patients Undergoing Laser Treatments
- Do not wear makeup on the day of treatment.
- No sun tanning or self-tanner 4 weeks prior to treatment. This includes spray tans, tanning lotions, tanning beds, and sun exposure.
- Avoid treatments such as waxing and depilatories for 2 weeks prior to your treatment.
- Please stop all skin irritating topicals such as retinol, tretinoin, glycolic and salicylic acid, and astringents for 7 days prior to your laser treatment.
- Patients with a history of cold sores may require premedication with Valtrex. Please call our office and Dr. Patel will write you a prescription for Valtrex.
How Should I Treat My Skin Follower Laser Services to Speed Recovery and Avoid Harm to the Skin?
- Avoid sun exposure and use a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) 30+ sunscreen. Reapply sunscreen every 2 hours. Your skin will be particularly sensitive to the sun after the procedure.
- Do not rub, scrub, or pick at treated areas.
- Avoid exercise or any other activities (sauna, hot tubs) that may make your face red/flush.
- Avoid skin irritants such as retinol, tretinoin, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic and salicylic acid, and astringents until your skin has completely healed or until okayed by Dr. Patel.
- Notify the clinic if you notice any blistering, excessive redness or swelling, pain or itchiness.