Injectables & Skin Care Doctors Serving Miami, South Miami, Coral Gables, Miami Beach & Nearby Florida
While factors such as pollution, smoking, and diet all affect the way your skin ages, nothing speeds up the process more than UV radiation. Exposure to UV light, found in the sun’s rays and tanning beds, causes 90 percent of extrinsic skin aging. That’s why sun damage is an incredibly common skin concern, especially here in Miami.
Like most people, you’ve probably exposed yourself to damaging UV rays many times. As a result, your skin may be sun damaged, which can present as many different cosmetic issues. Thankfully, it’s possible to reverse some degree of sun damage. Doing so will improve the health and beauty of your skin.
Experienced physician Dr. Shaun Patel treats sun damage every day at Miami Skin and Vein. Schedule a consultation today at 786-618-5039 to discuss what approach is best for your unique issues. We proudly serve patients from Miami, Coral Gables, Miami Beach, Fort Lauderdale, and nearby areas of Florida.
Sun Damage Basics
The source of sun damage is ultraviolet, or UV, radiation. There are two main types of UV rays that harm the skin: UVA and UVB. These rays are naturally present in the sun, and artificially present in tanning beds.
UVB rays are generally responsible for sunburns, tans, and skin cancer. Meanwhile, UVA rays are behind what is known as photoaging. UVA rays travel deep into the dermis, where they damage collagen, elastin, and other fibers that keep your skin youthful and smooth.
Skin Concerns Caused By Sun Exposure
Also known as photoaging, sun damage can manifest as several complexion issues, including:
- Volume loss
- Textural changes
- Loss of elasticity
- Fine lines and wrinkles
Any part of your body can become sun damaged. It is most common on the face, neck, chest, and the back of the hands.
Sun Damage Treatments
Dr. Patel takes a multi-pronged approach to treating sun damage. Used as part of a customized plan, these treatments can improve the quality and appearance of your skin:
- Hydrafacial: Combines cleansing, exfoliation, extraction, hydration, and antioxidant replenishment into one treatment. It is effective in treating patients who want to have fresh glowing skin, get rid of acne, and improve tone and texture.
- IPL: Intense pulsed light treatments help with redness and pigmentation issues. Dr. Patel likes to refers to this improvement in skin tone as "color correction".
- Sublative rejuvenation: Using safe bipolar radiofrequency, this treatment corrects uneven skin texture by stimulating collagen production and healthy new skin cells. Sublative is commonly performed on the same day as a combination treatment with IPL.
- Fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing: In many cases, a fractionated CO2 laser offers a one-and-done treatment that can correct advanced sun damage.
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels can correct some signs of sun damage by gently sloughing away old, unhealthy skin cells.
- Microneedling: Also known as collagen induction therapy, microneedling helps stimulate collagen production resulting in improvement in skin tone and texture. Microneedling is often combined with PRP (platelete rich plasma) for optimized results.
At-Home Care For Sun Damaged Skin
In-office treatments can significantly improve sun damage. However, reversing old sun damage and preventing future harm is a daily commitment. The work doesn’t stop after you receive a laser or IPL session.
Dr. Patel will help you create a daily routine to protect your skin. Often, this involves diligently using skincare products such as antioxidants and vitamin C. Additionally, you should always wear SPF 30 or above and re-apply it throughout the day.
Dr. Patel will assist you in developing a daily routine that prioritizes the protection and nourishment of your skin. He highly recommends incorporating skin care products from reputable brands like Alastin, SkinCeuticals, ZO Skinhealth, and EltaMD, known for their commitment to quality and effectiveness. An important aspect of a daily skincare routine typically involves the inclusion of products that are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, as these ingredients offer a multitude of benefits and are crucial for maintaining healthy and radiant skin. Additionally, you should always wear SPF 30 or above and re-apply it throughout the day.
Annual skin cancer screenings are also crucial for skin health, especially if you have sun damage. Sun exposure can increase your risk of actinic keratosis lesions and skin cancer.
Hear What Dr. Patel's Patients Have To Say!
"I had an amazing experience with Dr. Patel and his staff. From the moment I called for the appointments until I checked out. Dr. Patel was very patient and made me feel very comfortable. The staff was supportive and I felt at ease choosing the treatments that were best for me. Highly recommend this practice!"
"Miami Skin & Vein is the best place to go if you want natural and excellent results. The staff and Dr. Patel are so nice, love coming back to Miami skin & vein!"
"Dr. Patel and his staff are so courteous and attentive. I felt comfortable during the injections. I truly recommend this place."