BOTOX® Cosmetic – It’s Not Just For Frown Lines and Crow’s Feet
If Botox were a high school student, it would definitely win the “most popular” student award. There’s simply not a more widely recognized name in cosmetic dermatology than Botox Cosmetic. In fact, Americans spent $2.4 billion on Botox in 2014 and had over 6 million treatments performed. And yet while everyone is familiar with the standard Botox treatments (think frown lines and crow’s feet), many patients still don’t know about the many other uses of this injectable medication.
Here are Dr. Patel’s top 10 uses for Botox Cosmetic on the aging face.
- Frown lines or “11s” are the lines that form between the eyebrows. Treatment usually requires 20 units of Botox however men and some women with stronger muscles may require a higher dose.
- Forehead lines are often seen with expression (surprise or questioning). Usually 8-12 units injected into the forehead will relax these lines. It’s important to not over treat the forehead because this can cause an unnatural appearance or lowered eyebrows.
- Crow’s feet are the lines outside of the eyes which can be treated with 12 units per side.
- Neck bands are caused by contraction of the platysma muscle. These vertical bands on the neck often seen with age can be easily treated with 10-15 units per band.
- Under eye lines or bulging caused by contraction of the orbicularis oculi muscle can be improved with just 1-2 units per side.
- Vertical lip lines also known as smoker’s lines (though not always seen in just smokers) or lipstick lines can be improved using Botox and fillers. Usually 8 units of Botox along with a filler such as Belotero can really improve these lines.
- Bunny lines are lines on the bridge of the nose caused by contraction of the nasalis muscle and easily treated with 4-6 units.
- Chin cobble-stoning is caused by contraction of the mentalis muscle. As little as 4-6 units injected into this muscle can result in a smooth chin.
- Droopy or down-turned corners of the mouth are caused by contraction of the depressor angel oris muscle. As little as 2 units injected on each side helps eliminate this droopy appearance to the corners of mouth.
- Undefined jaw line can be improved with 8-10 units of Botox injected into the platysma muscle at the jaw line on either side. Known as the Nefertiti Lift, this procedure helps sharpen the jaw line and soften the appearance of jowling.
Finally, although not an anti-aging treatment, excessive or unwanted underarm sweating is commonly treated with Botox. Approximately 50 units is required for each underarm and the treatment usually controls sweating for 6 months.
Botox is a safe, quick, and no downtime treatment that can leave you looking fresh and definitely ready for the upcoming Holidays. Request a complimentary consultation online or call 786-618-5039 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Shaun Patel at Miami Skin and Vein. Our current Holiday promotions include a $100 savings on 50 units of Botox – click here for more details.
Click here to learn more about Botox injections by one of Miami’s most talented injectors, Dr. Shaun Patel.