Posted: January 30, 2023
Floridians love our sun, but it doesn’t always love us back. UV exposure is responsible for a staggering 80% of visible facial aging. At Miami Skin & Vein, many of the common cosmetic concerns we treat result from photoaging.
Sunspots aren’t the only negative aesthetic effect of sun damage. All those days spent soaking up the rays can also contribute to wrinkles, sagging, and uneven texture. More importantly, excess sun exposure can increase your risk of developing skin cancer.
If you have visible signs of photoaging, it’s not too late to adopt new habits and improve your appearance. At our practice, Dr. Shaun Patel has worked with numerous patients to minimize signs of photoaging and create a lifelong plan to avoid future sun damage.
Can You Reverse Visible Signs of Sun Damage?
Patients with sun-damaged skin typically have similar cosmetic concerns, including loss of elasticity, textural changes, redness, hyperpigmentation, volume loss, and fine lines and wrinkles.
Effective treatments for signs of photoaging include:
- Topical skincare products containing antioxidants, peptides, and growth factors like ZO Skin Health’s Retinol Skin Brightener or Daily Power Defense.
- IPL photofacials or Vbeam® Perfecta laser treatments to reduce broken capillaries, redness, and pigmentation issues.
- Chemical peels to correct signs of UV damage by removing old, unhealthy skin cells.
- Wrinkle-reversing injectables like Dysport® and BOTOX® Cosmetic.
- Dermal fillers to smooth the skin and target volume loss.
- Non-ablative fractional laser treatments with LaseMD Ultra to stimulate collagen growth.
- Thermage® or Ultherapy® to tighten and lift loose skin.
- Microneedling to stimulate collagen and improve skin tone and texture.
Dr. Patel often utilizes multiple treatments to create a comprehensive skin rejuvenation plan.
What Prevents Future Photoaging?
Limiting your UV exposure is the best way to promote a radiant complexion. The simplest and most powerful anti-aging skincare product is a daily sunscreen. Our practice (and the Skin Cancer Foundation) recommend EltaMD’s broad-spectrum sunscreens. They’re non-comedogenic, lightweight, and gentle on sensitive skin. Wearing UV protective clothing and a hat can also minimize future photoaging.
Schedule a Consultation to Reverse Signs of Photoaging
At Miami Skin & Vein, our treatment plans aren’t just about giving you a glowing complexion. We want your skin to be healthy too. Dr. Patel can create a treatment plan to reduce signs of past sun damage and get ahead of future photoaging. Call 786-618-5039 to schedule a photoaging consultation at our Coral Gables, Florida practice.