Healthy leg veins feel good and look great! Patients with lesser venous insufficiency or varicose veins may benefit from conservative vein treatment.
The doctors at Miami Skin and Vein develop customized treatment plans that give patients the opportunity to take an active role in the management of their conditions. Conservative methods of vein treatment do not require surgical or non-surgical medical interventions. These techniques include:
- Avoidance of prolong standing. Being on your feet for long periods of time places additional load on your circulatory system. It is important to sit down or stretch out periodically through the day.
- Leg elevation. When you aren’t standing, prop your feet on a footstool or ottoman. Even a box at about that height will do.
- Exercise. Strive for at least 30 minutes of physical activity each day. As they work, large muscles in the legs compress veins, helping to keep blood flowing normally. Exercises that get your legs moving such as walking, running, tennis, or swimming, contribute to healthy veins.
- Weight loss. Excess pounds put added pressure on veins, restricting their ability to move blood efficiently. Our doctors can provide information on healthy eating to reach your target weight.
- Compression stockings. Miami Skin and Vein doctors typically recommend wearing graded pressure, 20-30 mm Hg compression stockings for relief from moderate to severe varicose veins, swelling and edema, venous insufficiency, and venous stasis ulcers.
- Loose clothing. Non-restricting garments allow blood to move normally through the circulatory system.
Varicose veins that are already present will not be eliminated with conservative vein treatment. However, the development of new varicose veins can be avoided with these measures, and the progression of underlying venous insufficiency will be slowed.
Our doctors recognize that there is a tremendous amount of information circulating about treatment of varicose veins. We know that this information can be confusing. The most important thing to understand is that sound treatment options are available. These non- and minimally-invasive procedures for the treatment of varicose veins and chronic venous insufficiency are safe and effective.