Home » Services » Cosmetic Dermatology »
Women and men in the Coral Gables area are increasingly seeing Dr. Shaun Patel for natural, subtle, beautiful but believable results with dermal fillers
Sculptra filler treatment for cheeks, nasolabial folds, and temples by Dr. Shaun Patel in Miami, FL
Sculptra Aesthetic is a dermal filler commonly used for facial rejuvenation. It works by stimulating your skin to produce more of its own collagen. It turns out that as we age, our faces lose volume, mainly due to bone, fat, and collagen loss. These are necessary to provide the skin the structural support it needs. By increasing collagen, Sculptra is able to correct for this volume loss. Sculptra has been shown to last more than 2 years and the results are subtle and appear gradually over time. While other fillers address only lines, wrinkles and folds, Sculptra helps with all of these as well as helps to address collagen loss, improve skin structure, and volumize the face. When a patient needs full face rejuvenation, Dr. Patel likes to say that "Sculptra is my go to filler".
Juvederm lip filler injection by Dr. Shaun Patel
Dr. Patel performs Juvederm injection to the lips of a 23 year old female. He uses 1 mL of Juveerm Ultra to give the patient more lip definition and fullness. She no longer needs her Kylie Jenner lip kit!
Face sculpting using Botox and fillers
In this video, Dr. Shaun Patel treats a 27 year old female with with Botox and dermal fillers. He injected Juvederm Ultra into the lips to add volume to the lips and to correct an asymmetry. He injected Juvederm Voluma into the the cheeks to add definition to the cheekbones and he injected Voluma into the chin to improve lower face proportion by subtly bringing out the chin. He then injected 40 units of Botox into the upper face to treat frown lines, crow's feet and forehead lines.
Juvederm injection to the lower face using a microcanulla
Dr. Patel injected a 52 year old female patient with 2 mL of Juvederm UltraPlus in the nasolabial folds, marionette lines, and prejowl sulcus using a microcannula technique.
It’s important to realize that wrinkles themselves are invisible to the human eye. What you see is the shadow created by the uneven contours of the skin caused by the underlying wrinkle. The key to a youthful face is to minimize these shadows and to smooth transitions on the face. Dr. Shaun Patel of Miami Skin and Vein in Coral Gables is an expert in nonsurgical facial aesthetics and he uses dermal fillers in combination with other treatments to improve facial proportions, correct age related volume loss, soften facial lines and wrinkles. The goal is improved facial harmony, a more youthful and energized appearance to the face.
Understanding your filler options
There are many fillers to choose from and sometimes it can be difficult to determine which filler is right for you. Here are a few tips to point you in the right direction. Don’t worry though, because Dr. Patel evaluates each of his patients in person, determines their specific cosmetic concerns, providing a list of recommendations, and creating a customized cosmetic treatment. He offers all of the latest FDA-approved dermal fillers and is always adding newer fillers to his practice as they are approved. Dr. Patel was one of the first injectors in South Florida to offer Restylane Silk and Juvederm Volbella, soon after their initial FDA approval.
- Juvéderm Ultra/UltraPlus – The most popular hyaluronic acid based filler. Ideal for treating nasolabial folds, marionette lines and downturned corners of the mouth.
- Juvéderm Voluma – Restores volume to mid-face and cheeks lifting the face and restoring a youthful profile. Also used in the temples, chin, jawline, and prejowl.
- Juvéderm Volbella – Soft filler for the lips and perioral lines. Hydrates the lips. Natural looking results.
- Juvéderm Vollure – The longest-lasting dermal filler on the market, Juvéderm Vollure adds volume to folds around the mouth and nose
- Restylane – Similar to Juvederm, it softens lines and wrinkles.
- Restylane Lyft – Adds lift and volume to cheeks.
- Restylane Silk – A super smooth gel that plumps and defines lips.
- Restylane Defyne – A long-lasting solution for deep lines and folds, that allows natural facial expression.
- Restylane Refyne – Serious defense against laugh lines. This special hyaluronic acid filler flexes with skin.
- Belotero – Silky consistency for superficial lines and undereye dark circles and volume loss.
- Radiesse - Tiny beads of calcium hydroxylapatite provide immediate volume, and stimulate on-going production of fresh collagen.
- Sculptra – Poly-L-lactic acid is great for panfacial revolumization. It stimulates your body to produce it own collagen for gradual, long-lasting rejuvenation.
- Microcannula - The technique to minimize discomfort and bruising from cosmetic injectables.
What areas on the face are fillers used to treat?
Dr. Patel is an expert in facial aesthetics. He uses advanced injection techniques based on years of training and experience and may inject areas on the face not typically injected by the amateur or untrained injector. Here is a list of areas he may address with fillers:
- Lips and perioral lines (lipstick lines, upper lip lines) – add volume to lips, hydrate lips, soften lines
- Corners of mouth – reverse the downturn of the corners of the mouth seen with aging
- Marionette lines – Soften the shadows below the corners of the mouth
- Nasolabial folds – fill in smile lines
- Cheeks/Midface – restore volume to the cheeks, lift the face, and emphasize the cheek bones
- Jawline – sharpen the jawline and minimize the appear the jowls
- Prejowl – treat the area of volume loss just in front of the jowl but to the side of the chin
- Temples – treat the scalloped appearance of the upper face due to volume loss in this area
- Undereyes – improve dark circle and camouflage under eye puffiness
- Frown lines – used in combination with Botox
- Forehead lines – for deep lines on the forehead which Botox itself cannot completely treat
- Neck lines – filler in “necklace lines” on the neck
How long do the results from fillers last?
Of course it is important to remember that every patient’s body is different and every patient can respond differently to the fillers based on such factors as diet, exercise, baseline metabolism, sun-exposure, and smoking. In general, Dr. Patel recommends maintenance treatments so that the results never completely return to baseline. He also recommends that all patients start an at home skincare regimen to maintain their results. This regimen usually includes a combination of antioxidants, sunscreen, moisturizers, and retinol. General guidelines for filler longevity is as follows:
- Restylane Silk – 3-6 months
- Belotero – 6 months
- Juvederm Ultra, Restylane – 9 months
- Juvederm UltraPlus, Radiesse – 12 months
- Volbella – 12 months
- Voluma – 12-24 months
- Sculptra – 24 + months
Benefits of dermal fillers
There are many benefits to using fillers for facial rejuvenation including safety, effectiveness, longevity, and versatility.
Dr. Patel commonly gets asked “Why should I get filler injection when I can get a facelift?” Here are several reasons why you should consider injectable treatments over a facelift:
|Cost $2,500-$5,000 (full face)
||Cost $15,000 - $30,000
|Results last 1-3 years
||Results last 5-10 years
|Minimal to no downtime
||Long post surgery recovery
|Subtle, natural looking results
||Results can look unnatural
|No post procedure pain
||Significant post procedure pain
For younger patients, it is also important to note that by starting injectable treatments early, a patient can prevent signs of aging and postpone the need for surgical interventional indefinitely.
All cosmetic treatments at Miami Skin and Vein are performed by or with the oversight Dr. Shaun Patel. Call our office today at (786) 509-4055 to schedule an appointment.
* Actual patient. Results may vary. Unretouched photos taken before and after treatment.
This is a 27 year old female. Dr. Patel injected 2 mL of Juvederm Voluma into the cheeks and chin. He also injected 1 mL of Juvederm Ultra into the lips and 40 units of Botox into upper face lines. The oblique and lateral photos show cheek bone definition and chin enhancement.